Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Default Cat 5e telephone cable?

John Carlyle-Clarke wrote:

Thanks Dave. I do have some phone wire I bought some time ago, but
it's very, very thin. I've heard mention of "ADSL compatible phone
wire". Do you know if it really makes a difference?

Only to your pocket!

I can't imagine that it would be that significant compared to the 4
miles of copper between my house and the exchange,

Precicely...

The existing wiring is surface, and I think my new stuff will be too,
and I had considered that Cat5 is a bit more visible.

It does not make that much difference really. If needs be you can get
four lines down one cat5, so you also won't need another cable if you
ever added a line.

--
Cheers,

John.