Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Electromotive Guru

Default TV shows stripes/lines at the top of the screen

Okay if the rest of you all are done with your immature flame war, I
can say through all my experience that is is definitely a bad
capacitor either in the vertical or power supply area. No cap should
be getting too hot, so this may be a symptom of the main voiltage
bias being out of range. Look inwside the back cover for test-points
and check that main B+ voltage is within 5% of spec (if given).

So the guy wants to learn, noone becomes an expert from a book alone.
If any of you people flaming were experts, you should already know
that. While I agree that diagnosis comes before adjustments, and that
some skill is required, he IS NOT FIXING YOUR EQUIPMENT, so get over
it. If they do something wrong, it's on them, not you, in case you
forgot....

Sheesh, seems people here are a bit too uppity about things that they
have made into their own personal problem. Quit shutting out someone
with an idea, everyone has to make mistakes to learn. You could all
suggest politely that the focus control will not fix it. For those
who want to know, I am self-taught on many a different area that you
will never understand, and know more in many than all the book-smarts
in the world.

8 years of college cannot teach what I have learned in as little as
five seconds...