Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Carlyle-Clarke

Default Cat 5e telephone cable?

"Dave H." wrote in
:

"John Carlyle-Clarke" wrote ...

I need to remake my internal phone wiring [...] My question is
this: is there any reason I shouldn't use
Cat5e cable for this?

No problems apart from it being slightly thicker over all than
'phone wire, and a bit lumpier in appearance - if it's going to be
out of sight, no problem. I think the purple LSF variant's quite
pretty, too... for fixed wiring, make sure it's solid core, IDCs
don't take stranded reliably.

Thanks Dave. I do have some phone wire I bought some time ago, but
it's very, very thin. I've heard mention of "ADSL compatible phone
wire". Do you know if it really makes a difference?

I can't imagine that it would be that significant compared to the 4
miles of copper between my house and the exchange, but I could be
wrong.

The existing wiring is surface, and I think my new stuff will be too,
and I had considered that Cat5 is a bit more visible.