Posted to uk.d-i-y
Broadback

Default Independent loft insulation advice

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message
jim_in_sussex wrote:
Broadback wrote:
Can anyone please point me to a web site that will give me independent
advice on loft insulation, both type of insulation and methods, pros
and
cons?

With respect, your query at this moment is like the traditional
question about a piece of string.

Please come back with basic facts about your attic and house - approx
size; depth of joists (and of the rafters holding the slates/tiles up),
has it a boarded floor, any dormer windows or roof lights? Any
insulation up there now - if so, what? Looking wider afield any
unlagged hot water pipes? Solid or cavity walls?

With that info maybe we can focus on your specific needs.

BTW if your DHW ( immersion heater) tank is uninsulated that should be
your no 1 priority. Sling a warm woolen blanket over it pronto (but
don't cover the black top of the electric element where the leads
enter) until you can buy a proper cylinder jacket.

All I seem to be able to find are sellers, who have axes to grind
and Government sponsored sites that do not give advice to type and
method. Thanks.

common problem

HTH

What I was hoping is information on the relative cost and
effectiveness of the various insulating materials, ease to lay. How
effective it is to insulate under the roof as opposed to the loft
floor. I live in a bungalow and have a combi boiler. All the cabling
is in the attic and most of the central heating piping but nowt else.
Most of the flooring is boarded but I am willing to remove all that as
loft storage is not needed. There is no insulation whatsoever at the
moment. Is it truly cheaper to have it done professionally with grants
that DIY? We claim no income support or such like, though are both
pensioners. Owt else needed?

Put in counter joists to the existing joists, screwed where they meet.
These need only be in the centre of the loft where you walk. Install
Rockwool insulation in the now higher gap. Cover with T&G boards. In
the part of the loft where there is no boards lay insulation thicker.

Take a silicon gun and seal around all cables and pipes entering the
loft and any gaps you see. Make sure the loft door is sealed and insulated.

After installing the counter joists you may get the grant. Once laid,
screw down the boards. The installer will just lay the insulation.

With a bungalow the largest area is the loft/ceiling. Insulate this
well, eliminate draughts and you will gain in winter and summer.

If you want the best job, use Warmcell sprayed-in insulation. This
seals all the air gaps and gives the performance of Rockwool which is
25% thicker. Not cheap but V good and effective.

Thank you all for your help. The biggest problem is going to be the
cabling, some of it runs over the top of the joists and some is cleated
onto the side of the joists, so it looks like I will have to spend some
happy hours up there adjusting the wiring, I don't suppose the cables
will have enough slack to bring above the level of the insulation. I
have started the ball rolling on finding out about grants, however my
local council do not seem to be among those listed on the relative web
site. Subscribers to the "Loose fill insulation" thread do not seem to
rate the paper based loose fill.