Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison

Default use compression or solder?

Ralph Mowery wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi,

I am wondering how "safe and effective" is to use compression method
instead of soldering for joint of copper pipe and fittings? I am not
comfortable with soldering, but not sure using compression is
"water-tight enough" for joint or not, thx.

If done correctly the compression fittings are just as good as the soldered
connections. I work in a very large plant and we have thousands to millions
of copper and stainless steel connections using the compression fittings.
Anywhere from a few pounds of air to several hundred psi of various
chemicals.

Did you also notice that that plant has an entire crew of
maintenance workers to constantly check and repair anything
that breaks or fails? And hundreds of instruments in the
control rooms to let you know when something is leaking or
losing pressure?

If you have those in your home, and all of the compression
fittings are exposed, then I would recommend going with the
CFs everywhere.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.