Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Default Who is responsible for tree trim and removal?

CJT wrote:

miamicuse wrote:

I just bought a house that was vacant for months, after hurrican Wilma
came
through three large black olive trees in front of the house were damaged.

I called the tree company out and they said two of them need heavy
pruning,
and because it was never properly pruned there are some rot and termite
infestation as well. But they cannot trim it because it's the County's
trees. The third one is completely unbalanced and is a hazard waiting to
happen, it's leaning and the root is coming up a bit on the other side,
bulging the concrete sidewalk.

All three trees are on the side of the County's street and outside of my
property line. I was told I am responsible to maintain these trees even
though they are not mine technically.

The County told me to trim and prune trees I need a file a permit. Over
$100 per tree. Now the tree guy will prune it for $300 a tree, and an
additional $600 to haul away the branches. If the unbalanced tree need
removal, I have to pay much more...for removal, for stump grinding and
for
hauling away, and County require a 100% canopy replacement and higher
permit
fee. This will result in thousands!!!

This is not even on my property! I thought I pay property taxes for
things
like this!

MC

I'd call my homeowner's insurance carrier -- he has an interest in not
having the thing crash through the roof, and might be able to get
something done.

Having read the horror story from the other poster, I should add that
insurance companies aren't always the best to deal with, either, so be
sure to think it through first.