Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

Default Who is responsible for tree trim and removal?

miamicuse wrote:
I just bought a house that was vacant for months, after hurricane
Wilma came through three large black olive trees in front of the
house were damaged.

I called the tree company out and they said two of them need heavy
pruning, and because it was never properly pruned there are some rot
and termite infestation as well. But they cannot trim it because
it's the County's trees. The third one is completely unbalanced and
is a hazard waiting to happen, it's leaning and the root is coming up
a bit on the other side, bulging the concrete sidewalk.

All three trees are on the side of the County's street and outside of
my property line. I was told I am responsible to maintain these
trees even though they are not mine technically.

The County told me to trim and prune trees I need a file a permit.
Over $100 per tree. Now the tree guy will prune it for $300 a tree,
and an additional $600 to haul away the branches. If the unbalanced
tree need removal, I have to pay much more...for removal, for stump
grinding and for hauling away, and County require a 100% canopy
replacement and higher permit fee. This will result in thousands!!!

This is not even on my property! I thought I pay property taxes for
things like this!

Could be worse.

One chap noticed a dead tree on the highway right-of-way next to his
property. Called the highway department and reported same. They said they'd
take care of it.

Two days later, a tree-trimming crew came onto the reporting-person's
property (while he's at work) and cut down (and hauled away) a 40-year old,
healthy, pecan tree, over 100 feet inside the person's property line. Dead
tree still standing.

Citizen goes ballistic. Calls the highway department, demands satisfaction.
Threatens to sue everybody in the highway department, along with all their
relatives and everybody they ever knew!

Highway department is apoplectic. Apologizes profusely and promises to make
things right. Even mentions restitution.

Early the following week, a different tree-cutting crew cuts down
75-year-old healthy oak - over three feet in diameter at the base - also on
citizen's property. This tree likewise 100 feet inside citizen's property
line, and 150 feet from highway. Dead tree still untouched.

Citizen goes into nuclear meltdown -- we're talking pitchforks and torches.
Having leared from hard experience, citizen doesn't mess with highway
department again, as he still has several sturdy trees left. TV cameras
appear, some national. Jay Leno reports on the screw-up. Governor's office
picketed. Environmental Protection Agency wants a report. Little children
weep on camera. Close-up of destroyed bird-nest (with eggs). Oh, the horror
of it all !

Moral: Unless these trees will hit something if they fall over, DON'T
INVOLVE THE GOVERNMENT. The county will burn down your house, kill your dog,
molest your children, and deport you to Slovenia. The trees will remain
untouched.