Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Thomas

Default Installing a vinyl fence

David DeBoer wrote:
Hello,

I am going to be installing a vinyl fence this weekend. I'm looking for
some tips. What is the best way to make sure the posts are all at the same
height? Also is there a trick to making sure the posts are perfectly lined
up? I'm concerned the fence will end up being twisted and facing different
directions. I'm up in central New York. How deep should the holes be? How
much gravel and concrete will I need per post? Lastly there will be a gate
connected to a brick wall. Any thoughts on how best to latch it to the
wall?

Any thoughts on these questions and anything else will be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks...

Don't know whether this will be of value to you, but here it is:

We just got back from a visit to our son's home. The fence at the back
of his yard (belonging to his neighbor) is vinyl, with vertical posts 4
or 5 inches apart.

My son has a 75-lb "golden oodle", which is a combination of a golden
retriever and poodle. He is much wider than 4 or 5 inches. But he has
discovered that if he hits the fence right between two bars, he will
punch right through (the bars flex; it really is something to watch).

Might be something to think about if your fence is there to enclose a
dog.

Jim Thomas