Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Default Mixing small batches of joint compound

wrote:
I'm currently installing drywall in a 20x18 (approx.) room, and I am
planning on finishing the seams with fiberglass mesh tape (except the
inside corners, which will use steel-reinforced paper; there are no
outside corners in the room). Fiberglass mesh tape requires
setting-type joint compound for the first coat.

I believe that the only limitation with the mesh tape is that you're
not supposed to use lightweight joint compound...even though I know a
number of people that do use lightweight for bedding the tape with
apparently no ill effect.

Setting type compound is great if you're in a rush to get several coats
on in a day. It's doubtful whether you'd do more than one coat a day
anyway, so I'd probably stick with the bucket.