Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne

Default Swimming pool conversion

Goedjn wrote:
2) How will you design and build a cover for the pool? I imagine a
solid concrete, reinforced slab over the pool; but then again, see #1
above I'm sure there is a simpler way.

Build the cistern cover as a raft, or just build a regular
gable-roof, or even a complete shed over it.

3) Can you capture enough rainwater to supply your needs? Your roof is
the obvious choice, and any other source may add to the filter burden.

4) I saw the TOH episodes in Bermuda. The whole community was served
by rainwater caught in basins acres and acres large. It goes to show
that catching and storing rainwater is a feasible method on any scale.
It sounds like you can supplemant your rainwater with well water if
needed. You will have to tie both plumbing systems together somehow.

The best way to do that is to just pump well-water into the
cistern with a 2" or bigger air-gap, to prevent backflow.

There should not be any plumbed connection, or you
risk cistern-water ending up in your well, which will
screw up the well.

Raft system is what I"m looking at, probably reinforced cement
sheeting. It can be properly sealed all the way around, and provide a
good flat surface to walk around on so long as we build a good sturdy
structure to hold it.

Provided we have enough rain, we shouldn't have any real issues with
capturing water. It's currently almost at the point of overflowing as
we've had a lot of rain. I will probably look at using groundwater as a
topup system as well.