Posted to sci.electronics.repair
DaveM

Default Can't Stop Humming

"Ron" wrote in message
ups.com...
I just bought a rather nice electric guitar kit for a hundred bucks
that came with a 10 watt amplifier. The guitar is pretty nice but the
amplifier has a rather nasty hum. I thought it was a vacuum tube amp
but found out it actually has transistors-- or an IC amplifier-- I'm
not sure.

The power transformer is pretty close to the circuit and the wires for
it were tangled with some of the speaker wires. When I untangled them,
the hum disappeared... until I plugged into the jack the guitar cable,
then the hum came back. Does anybody have any suggestions for getting
rid of this hum problem?

Ron

Your description sounds suspiciously like an open shield (ground) connection on
the amp's input jack. Open the amp so you can get at the rear of the jack, and
look at the solder connections there. I'll bet you find that the shield is
loose or has a broken solder connection.

Cheers!!!

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.