Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default Rounding Question

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 20:21:01 -0400, (J T) wrote:

power planer?? *shudder*

no way bro.. and I do some pretty stupid things... lol

you might try the power planed when the lathe is not running, maybe with the
spindle locked... and us the planed long ways (with the grain?) on each
corner...

I will admit to using a 12" surform to take bark off a few times.... Be sure to
stand on the other side of the lathe when using these or your wood rasp so that
when (not if) you lose your grip on it, it hits the wall, not you..

Hi Guys:

Been a lonnng time since I've been over here. Not trying to avoid
you all, just haven't been doing that much turning. But recently fired
up my trusty HF lathe to turn some wooden carving mallets for the older
son - apparently I've gotten him interested in carving out some wooden
Tikis. By the way, my HF lathe is about 9-10 years old now, and still
working just fine - painted yellow, of course.

Wasn't about to waste any of my air dried wood on him, so glued up
a couple of chunks of 2X4 together, squared them up by running them thru
my planer, and cut them for three different length mallets.

The 2X4s were soft pine, so figured no problem using a gouge and
rounding them off. The theory was better than the doing. Course it
mighta helped if I'd sharpend the gouge a bit first, but didn't bother.
Well, did get them rounded (using a lare wood rasp, while the lathe was
runnning - worked well, just a bit slower thn I caed for),then proceded
turning 3 various length mallets for him. Actually, they come out quite
nicely, if you don't care about the flue line, and if I need more in the
future, may well do it the same way.

But, a few days back picked up a hand power planer at a HF sidewalk
sale. For $25, figured I couldn't go wrong.

So, figured next time Iturn something, rather than rounding it
first, or try rounding it in the lathe as before, I'd try using the hand
planer on the stock, while the lathe is running..

The question is: Has any of you used a hand power planer this way?
And, if so, any down side?

I'll be checking back. Thanks.

Later.

JOAT
Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, n. Latin for career criminal

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis