Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

Default delta bandsaw blues

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 08:49:37 -0700, Fly-by-Night CC
wrote:

I am needing a 3hp-5hp motor for a 50-year old band saw that I'm
rejuvenating. I'd love to hang a Baldor or Leeson on it, but the
$400-$500 (w/shipping) price is triggering some chest discomfort.

I've done some looking into the WEG brand the Surplus Center also
carries and they appear to have a good history and reputation. Made in
Brazil, company is 45+ years old, seem to be well-respected in the
mining industry... They're also heavier son-guns than the comparable
Leeson by about 15 lbs... Anyone have any comments on WEG motors?

Delta switched from Marathon to WEG motors on the "domestic" units.
That is what comes on a Unisaw these days. While it is my opinion
that they are not as good as Marathon or Baldor, they test fairly
well.

Frank