Posted to rec.woodworking
damian penney

Default curves

No wrote:
damian penney wrote:
Currently in the process of building a bed like this
http://ww1.potterybarnkids.com//cat/...k985&cmsrc=kwd
and it's coming along quite nicely but I have a question with regards
the best way to make the curved sections of the bow which are 3" wide
and 3/4" thick. What is the best way to create the curve? The options
as I see them are a) cut it from wide stock which seems quite wasteful
of what will be pricey lumber b) some form of steambending but not sure
if it's too wide for that or c) cut into 1/8" strips and laminate it.
I'm thinking c will work the best but looking for any pointers from the
group.

The other part of the question is what wood to use. I priced teak, to
go with the teak and holly ply that will comprise the 'decking' but
that's real spendy $15b/f so thinking either something similar in color
to it or alternately a contrasting wood. I have a little white oak
lying around that might do the trick but again any thoughts much
appreciated.

Thanks, Damian

The other option I'd forgot d) is to angle some thinner stock with a
few mitres and then cut that on the bandsaw but not sure how nicely the
grain would line up/look.

Sorry to say but cutting the curved pieces from one piece is the way to
go IMHO.

Really? You don't think the lamination will go so well?