Posted to rec.woodworking
Fly-by-Night CC

Default Wood Expansion: Fence Boards

In article eEgjg.9131$iF6.4649@pd7tw2no,
"Alan Smithee" wrote:

How much expansion should I allow for when putting cedar 1 by 6 boards next
to each other on a fence panel. I know W.R. cedar is considered a fairly
stable wood but would an inch clearance over a span of 66 inches be enough?
I'm going for a "solid" fill pattern look. Thx.

Do they feel wet? Or cool to the touch as if they may be a tad damp? If
so, butt them right up against each other as they'll shrink and small
gaps will open up.

Most, if not all, cedar fencing I've run into is quite damp and shrinks
rather than is dry and expands.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05