Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay Stootzmann

Default crawlspace temperature, humidity

I don't think the box fans are necessary since you already have the
dehumidifier.

see: http://www.advancedenergy.org/buildi.../crawl_spaces/

I assumed you've already followed Advance Energy's recommendations to seal
up the crawl space and have a good vapor barrier installed.

I have two crawl spaces -- each with it's own dehumidifier. the larger
space has a double vapor barrier and maybe runs one or two degrees higher
than before [66-68 degrees] while the other crawl space is quite a bit
smaller and runs about 72-78 degrees -- the second has only a single layer
6mil plastic vapor barrier. both spaces are sealed up pretty tight though
and the floors above them are also pretty heavily insulated.

I keep the RH set below 50% on both -- below the level for dust mites.

I think the higher temp is from the dehumidifier having to work harder
because of the lack of a second vapor barrier and the heavy insulation keeps
the heat in.

"dblho39" wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anybody know what a reasonable temperature for a crawlspace would
be? I recently put two dehumidifer units in my crawlspace (along with
a couple box fans to circulate air), as I've had major problems with
moisture down there. I have all the crawl space vents sealed.
However, the temperature in the crawlspace is now running about 8-10
degrees hotter than it had been. It was running around 68 degrees.
Now it is consistently up around 76-78 degrees. I guess this is
because the dehumidifers heat things up. The humidity level in the
crawlspace is now under control, the RH has been staying around 45-47%
(it had been running around 80-90%). But I'm concerned about the
temperature running higher. Is this anything I should worry about?
What would be the ideal temperature and RH for a crawlspace?