Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak

Default Installing a vinyl fence

David DeBoer wrote:
Thanks for all the info. It will definetly help. One other question that I
forgot Earlier. I will need to cut a section of the vinyl fence in half.
What is the best tool for this? Hack saw??

Thanks...

"David DeBoer" wrote in message
et...

Hello,

I am going to be installing a vinyl fence this weekend. I'm looking for
some tips. What is the best way to make sure the posts are all at the
same height? Also is there a trick to making sure the posts are perfectly
lined up? I'm concerned the fence will end up being twisted and facing
different directions. I'm up in central New York. How deep should the
holes be? How much gravel and concrete will I need per post? Lastly
there will be a gate connected to a brick wall. Any thoughts on how best
to latch it to the wall?

Any thoughts on these questions and anything else will be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks...

How tall is the fence? Taller fence would need a deeper hole.
I'm in southern NY. I put 4' high picket type 8' vinyl fence around my
in-ground pool. My 4"x4" PT posts are only about 3 feet into the ground
with no concrete. I used string to get them aligned. The fence sections
are not 6 or 8 feet long, they are shorter and are meant to fit between
posts that are installed on center at either 6 or 8 feet, so I used a
section of fencing to locate the next hole, putting the fence on the
ground after the last installed post and then digging where it ended. I
installed the fence as I went along, attaching it to the posts and
adjusting each hole as needed. After all posts and fencing was
installed, I aligned and squared up the posts and filled the holes with
dirt. I also bought 2 lengths of 2"x3"s for each section and stuck them
in the fencing's hollow rails for more strength.
On my pool fencing, I hinged two 8' sections, one on the back and one on
the side, for emergency access into the pool area (in case someone
needed help in the pool). A hasp and staple secures them.
You can almost use any type of hand saw to cut the vinyl. I wouldn't use
a power saw which tends to melt the plastic around the cut.

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
To Email, remove the double zeroes after 'at'