Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default Where do we draw the line? Musing about level, plumb and square.

I bet I'm not the only one of us who has to make a deliberate effort to
make curved lines on a turning. If I don't watch it, my vessels will end
up with straight sides and sharp corners. People seem to seek level,
plumb and square in most things they make, but mother nature sure
doesn't. ex: a building vs a landscape. Well at least, buildings other
than Frank Gehry's and the deconstructionists' and trees other than
redwoods and tall pines.

LPS with its straight lines and right angles are what we tend to strive
for, but fair curves and angles other than 90deg. are what pleases most
of us. I conveniently forget (translation: don't know anything about)
Mondrian and lots of others. I do that a lot.

I hope you psychologists, artists and general woodturners will jump in
to agree or disagree and hopefully to explain wottenhel I'm trying to
say. I sure don't know, plus I've conveniently forgotten about Mondrian
and many others. I often do that.

It's written somewhere that our fixation on LPS is due to the
overwhelming effects of gravity in our lives. Probably began with our
being told to "sit up straight". The Golden Ratio is all fine and good,
but a fair curve in our turnings as in the fair sex wins over flat &
straight every time. Yep, we like rounded things and function doesn't
always have to follow form. If a tippy round bottom is ok for a rice
bowl, why not for a salad bowl, and a lathe doesn't always have to make
things round? Sorry you read this far?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter