Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim

Default Question on Woodworking Motor and Farm Duty Motor.

"todd" wrote in message

"Jim" wrote in message
. com...

"Jack" wrote in message
I was facing hard maple in rapid succession. In the past I had never
encountered any problems. I did touch the wire and it was not even
warm. I rotated the pulley and it rotates freely with no resistance
whatsoever. Tomorrow, I will replace the wire and if it still trips, I
will replace the motor. Any idea if the motor still salvageable?
BTW, the jointer is a Yorkcraft.

The field could be rewound. A bad capacitor can be replaced. A bad
thermal switch can be replaced. Bearings can be replaced. There really
isn't much that can't be fixed.
Jim

The question is, what can be done for less than the cost of another motor.
When I had to replace a 1 3/4 HP motor a while back, I called a place
looking for rebuilt units. They told me they don't even bother rebuilding
anything less than 10HP. Start capacitors and thermal switches might be
easily replaceable, but I wonder about getting a smallish motor rewound.

todd

I didn't mention costs because that subject is one for discussion between
the OP and the rebuilder. In all likelihood, though, it would be cheaper to
replace a motor with a bad field.

Jim