Posted to uk.d-i-y
Zoinks

Default Bug killer

PigPOg wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 10:07:57 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

PigPOg wrote:

The apex of my conservatory seems to attract hundreds of bugs/flys etc
late evening. Can anyone recommend a decent, compact bug-killing
device I can purchase. Doesn't matter if it's mains or battery
powered. I'm just fed-up of using fly spray.

Cheers,
Simon

I'd of thought the logic aproach to eradicating them would be why they're
being attracted to that part of the conservatory? find that and your on the
way to saving money. :-)

It's a brand new conservatory, no obvious reason why they should
congregate there, it's just glass and plastic framework. I don't
understand the fascination for being there.

Simon

The flies probably gather in the house during the day, coming in through
open windows. As it begins to get dark, they will head for the place
that has the most light in order to continue feeding. Flies have poor
long-range vision but excellent directional vision so the bright blob of
the conservatory entreance will be attractive when compared to the
relative cave-iness of the rest of the house. Naturally, since they are
searching for a way out, repeatedly banging their heads into glass, they
will head upwards - they probably have to, in order generate the lift
required to keep in the air.

In our local rail station (which had barely any sides at all, mostly a
glass roof !) there was a similar scenario. What happened was that
spuggies congregated and used the resource as a well-stocked larder all
summer.
It was alleviated inexpensively by putting in a vent so the bugs can
escape - a great bit of 'thinking outside the box'.

In your case, and assuming that you don't want a vent, how about making
the conservatory entrance a bit less obvious, with a bead-screen or some
such ?

Zoinks !