Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
DJ Delorie

Default Rounding Question

(J T) writes:
So, figured next time Iturn something, rather than rounding it
first, or try rounding it in the lathe as before, I'd try using the
hand planer on the stock, while the lathe is running..

Please don't. The only safe way to cut the wood while it's turning is
with a tool that's designed to be supported by the toolrest. The last
thing you want is to have the lathe throw a running planer at you.

The question is: Has any of you used a hand power planer this
way? And, if so, any down side?

I've used a hand power planer with the lathe, but not while it's
running. Find the spindle lock on the lathe and LOCK THE SPINDLE.
Then use the plane to power-carve the blank, using the lathe to simply
hold the blank in place.

But, what you probably don't realize is that soft pine is sometimes
*harder* to turn cleanly because it really needs a sharp edge, else
the blunt edge just mangles the wood instead of cutting it. You can
sharpen a gouge with a high speed 6" grinder, so no excuses there -
any grinder will do. It just takes a light touch and a little
patience. Try poplar next time, or an inexpensive harder wood (around
here, that's maple). Or a tree branch. But *do* sharpen the gouge;
it will make a big difference.

With a sharp gouge, you might find it's faster to use the lathe as
it's intended, than to use the planer. I only use the planer when the
blank is too out of balance to safely spin up, and then only to
balance the wood.