Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim

Default Question on Woodworking Motor and Farm Duty Motor.

"Jack" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 22:44:58 GMT, "Wilson"
wrote:

I don't think you could overload this motor in a jointer, unless face
jointing hard wood and doing it rapidly. Your 16 ga wire was very short
and
probably didn't make enough drop to be a big deal. I think you have an
insulation fault that caused the overheating and eventually got serious
enough to short out and blow the breaker.

I was facing hard maple in rapid succession. In the past I had never
encountered any problems. I did touch the wire and it was not even
warm. I rotated the pulley and it rotates freely with no resistance
whatsoever. Tomorrow, I will replace the wire and if it still trips, I
will replace the motor. Any idea if the motor still salvageable?
BTW, the jointer is a Yorkcraft.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it.

If it is not enclosed, you could have sawdust in the starting switch???

My jointer is a 6" Sears with about 1/2-3/4 HP and never overloads.
Wilson

"Jack" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 13:07:23 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

Farm duty motors are green, green is ok...stay away from blue motors.
Usually farm duty motors are totally enclosed drip proof and will serve
you
well. Keep an eye on http://www.surpluscenter.com/
they have been a good, cheap supplier for me.

Your site does have the motor I could use for the replacment.
I will check with them tomorrow for the S/H after I replace the
16/3 wire to a 12/3 wire and test it again. Thanks you.

.

The field could be rewound. A bad capacitor can be replaced. A bad thermal
switch can be replaced. Bearings can be replaced. There really isn't much
that can't be fixed.
Jim