Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack

Default Question on Woodworking Motor and Farm Duty Motor.

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 13:05:12 GMT, "Wilson"
wrote:

The load on WW motors is generally very light. You didn't say what tool is
involved, but any motor should be fine, assuming it doesn't have a
manufacturing fault.
Wilson
"Jack" wrote in message

It's a 1-1/2hp, 8" jointer. The machine is lightly used and over two
years old. Yesterday, I used it continuously for about two hours and
it starts making a funny noise, the motor's thermal overload tripped
and quit. I opened the machine panel and smell the insulation, the
motor was warm, not hot. After it cooled down, it started with the
funny noise again and quit, this time my 20 amps panel's breaker
tripped.

I am thinking of replacing it with a 2hp Farm duty motor which is
cheaper than a Leeson's continuous cycle motor, or buy a Grizzle's
1-1/2hp motor. I really don't think the motor is kaput, maybe the
motor's insulation is bad or the power wire is a 8 ft,16/3 gauge.
Maybe, if I replace it with a 12/3 it may help? Any suggest or should
I go ahead and replace the 1-1/2hp motor with a Farm duty 2hp motor.

Thanks again.