Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Default low voltage in circuit, switch off

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 16:00:43 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Steve wrote:

I'm using a ~20 year old analog multimeter. I measure ~5V on the 30V
scale, but about 0.5V on the 3V scale; so it's just enough to boost the
meter off zero. I was wondering about induction, the circuit in
question is only several meters from the service box, but next to a GFI
outlet.

The other folks keep calling it "induced" voltage, but you only really
couple inductively if there's a current in one wire running next to
another one, not just voltage on the wire.

Induction occurs when the current changes, something happening all the
time with AC current. A constant DC current will not induce anything.
That seems to be one reason for using AC so much, it allows you to use
transformers.

[snip]

Correct of course, I should have said "AC current". I was cought up in
the OP's subject and I don't normally think of DC in regard to household
power wiring. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia