Posted to alt.home.repair
Philip Lewis

Default Condos-common walls THANKS TO ALL

(Good Life) writes:
I never would have thought so many problems could arise in what
looked like an ideal housing choice for someone who is getting on in
years. Thanks to all at home repair.

If I were getting on in years, There are a few things that I would consider:
Ranch house (no steps)
Or a modern trailer on a small lot. (Fairly cheap, allow you to put
money you've put in your current house into something earning interest
to help you live with the reduced income)
Small yard (less maintenance, cheaper to hire out if you need to do so.)
Close to local stores. (walk or scooter to the store)

The trouble with some of those, is that it can often mean less safe
neighborhoods. Of course, the thing to do there is to work on a call
tree with your neighbors. Something bad happens, call the police and
then call your neighbors, who call the police and more neighbors...etc.
The police know that if something happens in that neighborhood,
they'll be getting a ton of calls... and eventually put the area on
regular patrol. A friend of mine helped organize this in their
"transitional" neighborhood and it really helped to clean it up.
Not sure if this amounts to harassing the police though.

--
May no harm befall you,
flip