Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Default penetrating primer ?

Ether Jones wrote:
Nospam wrote:
Moisture will seep into the treads from anywhere exposed opening no matter
how small (such as where the treads are nailed). Once water get into the
treads, the sun will then bake the treads forcing the moisture to the
surface, and thereby cracking/blistering/peeling the paint (including
primer).

The "toner" deck stain I use on my deck soaks very deeply into the wood
and does not peel, even though I treat only the exposed side of the
wood. My deck is a southern exposure and gets merciless sun and rain
and snow, and high foot traffic.

Stain doesn't peel. It wears/washes away. You could use a solid body
stain on your porch, but you'd still have lots of preparation to do.