Larry Jaques

Default OT Environmentalists may be in deep Kimchee

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 18:22:42 -0800, "Dan"
brought forth from the murky depths:

As an aside:

Any one know of any statistics on the rate of gun injuries based on
gun ownership (+/-)? I would think gun owner would, just by proximity,
have more injuries than non-owners, but have no actual information to
backup that hunch. The numbers published by gun enthusiasts do not
address this question, as near as I can tell (I could be wrong).

The CDC shows your hunch to be right, but don't rule out the
Darwin theory.

I don't have the stats handy, but alcoholics are injured less
often (flying miles) than the weekend warriors who just tie one
on and jump in the car, then try to drive home. The drunks are
used to driving impaired and more aware of it (amazingly) than
the occasional drunks. (As an ex-drunk, I know this to be true.)
But you get a bunch of drunk teens together with guns and the
odds swap ends quickly. The CDC report below would probably
show that if they had tracked it.

This came up with a google search: "risk of injury gun owner"

Fatalities:
http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcgvacci.html
Apparently, more people "fall down, go dead" than die by the gun.

Non-fatal Injuries:
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4845a1.htm

Regarding info about CCW results, read this chapter in a book
reviewed by The Brookings Institution:
http://www.brook.edu/press/books/cha...ggunpolicy.pdf
I got crosseyed by page 12, but I hate PDF files. I felt much
ambiguity (probably tracking his) while reading it. I wonder if
this was one of the guys who helped the CDC on their commission.

G'nite.

--This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels--
http://diversify.com Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases