Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

Default TV shows stripes/lines at the top of the screen

"-Almazick-" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks for your response but it's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking
for help and to point me to the right direction. If I wanted to give it
to service I would done it a long time ago but that's no fun at all.
That's the idea to learn it and do it yourself. Also If I had no idea
what I was doing I wouldn't even touch it but I've done in the past couple
of projects creating PCB and making IC to work. It's all about fun and
enjoying what you are doing. This is diy electronics repair forum and
people expect to get help to solve the problem not to create another one
just like you advised it and please next time stay on the subject and
don't create another one.

If you'd provided a model number and resisted the temptation to indulge in
dangerous buffoonery, then maybe the *group* (this is *not* a forum!) would
have considered you had enough credibility to undertake a repair. However,
by your actions you have demonstrated that the only successful undertaking
will be your subsequent funeral.

You clearly do not understand televisions or their circuits and adjustments,
and I'm certain few people would recommend you learn the craft with a good,
newish TV when they know full well you may injure/kill yourself or wreck the
TV. Seriously- anyone who thinks the 'focus' control will cure lines at the
top of the screen has no business inside a TV set- even my 13 year old
daughter knows what 'focus' means ;-)

Furthermore, a basic rule of repair is that adjusting things when a fault
arises is a no-no. Apart from the simple fact that it rarely helps to effect
a good repair, it will at best mask the fault, and at worst make a simple
repair into a realignment job which increases the total repair cost. Worse
still you randomly adjusted settings you didn't understand- what did you
hope to achieve? Would you randomly adjust things on your car's carburettor
if the tail light developed a fault?

If you want to learn TV repair, I recommend you get a good book and
understand how they work before you go inside and practice, you and the TV
will live longer.

The answer to your question is electrolytic capacitors in the vertical
deflection circuit as Sam stated- about 99% certainty. It's not an expensive
job and straightforward enough for a half decent tech, so I recommend you
pay to get it done.

As for wanting to fix it yourself as part of a learning process, learning
what exactly? You had to come here to ask where the fault was, so the hard
part has been answered for you. The remainder of the job is soldering in
replacements, far better you practice soldering on a scrap PCB than a year
old TV.

Good luck with your TV, and stay alive!

Dave