Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Help with fixing speaker system...

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 09:54:02 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 9 Jun 2006 21:57:57 -0700, wrote:

I have a speaker set, that says it needs 13.5V to run (13.5V DC IN, and
the big power brick thing says 13.5) - but my power brick is dead. I
just hooked up a 12V power source, and the LED came on. So at least I
know it's not my sub woofer (where all the speakers / volume control
plugs in).

Question is: can I run at 12v, just not as loud? Or will this blow
something up, cause a fire, etc...? Or will it just cause damage over
time? Or will it work FINE, with no major hazards, just not get as
loud?

Other numbers to consider:

ORIGINAL HARDWA
Input 120 VAC 60Hz 50W
Output 13.5VDC 2.5A

POSSIBLE REPLACEMENT
Input 120V AC 60Hz 23W
Output 12VDC 1000mA

As others said, the big problem is that the replacement only puts out
1 amp, which is why it only has 23 watts instead of 50.

If it works, just not as loud, I'm set... I really don't want to spend
more money on another powersupply.

Thanks!

Nu

Try measuring the output of the power supply.

Measure while it is in use, I think you mean. All wall warts and most
other cheap PS's will be higher when not connected to the amp and when
the amp is not turned on.

An unregulated 12v
supply could be putting out 20v of more. If that 13.5 volt supply was
unregulated, your speakers must be able to handle such things.

However, the significantly lower current capacity may keep the
speakers from working. It is unlikely that trying it will cause
damage, but disconnect it if you hear strange sounds from the
speakers.

Also someone mentioned PS failure from overheating. I think a) if the
power supply fails, you probably won't have lost much, since this
sounds like a spare, but for the first several long sessions you
should put the PS where it can't start a fire. (at the end of an
extension cord, so you can put it where you want it.) Better yet, if
you touch the PS and it's no hotter than others that look like it
(we're talking about a black cube that plugs into the wall, right)
it's not likely to be overheating.

I don't see why the amp would fail from low capacity in the power
supply, especially if it sounds ok.