Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Lionel

Default how do I solder a power switch to a mobile board

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006 17:04:49 +0100, "Dave D"
opined:

"interuser" wrote in message
I did manage to power on the mobile by connecting those points via a
wire

That's Good. You'll need a fine tipped soldering iron, preferably a
temperature controlled one but it's not essential. Use fine rosin cored
solder. Put the switch in place, and if possible get someone to hold it down
for you.

A wooden clothes peg (possibly with the jaws whittled to a suitable
shape) is great for this.

When you are happy that the switch is located correctly, apply the
tip of the iron gently to one of the switch legs and solder pad. Quickly put
the solder onto the contact (not the iron!) and it should flow freely and
join the leg and the contact point. Repeat on each connection. Each one
should take a second of soldering time, any more and something is wrong-
either your iron is not hot enough, your technique is incorrect or the parts
to be soldered are tarnished/coated with something. If you keep the iron on
too long, the solder pad and possibly the switch will be destroyed and the
repair will be difficult to impossible.

nods

*Quickly* (1-2 seconds) tinning the switch legs & the PCB pads will
make the above quicker & easier. Let both parts cool for a short time
(30 seconds) before soldering them to each other.