Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A giant oil tank - how to dispose?

Cut it up with an air hammer(chisel) or nibbler .. .. .. years ago, we
cut, brazed, soldered, welded gas tanks and prepared them for such
operations by running the exhaust from a gas engine into the tank .. ..
... displaces any flammable vapors and any oxygen in the tank .. .. ..
never had a fire or explosion .. .. .. keep a water hose or fire
extinguisher handy just in case .. .. ..

miamicuse wrote:
An old house I just purchased has a large oil (yes, oil, not gas) tank in
the back yard. I was told it was used in the early 70s to heat the swimming
pool and was later on disconnected.

This oil tank is about 80" long, cylindrical with a diameter oh say about
40". It sort of look like this:

http://store.cyrilhuze.com/CyrilHuze...um/10234-1.jpg

but not shiny like it rather it seem to be pretty corroded. I don't know if
there is still any oil in it, I could smell oil. Checking underneath it I
do not see any leak and the grass directly underneath it seemed ok.

I am trying to figure out how to remove and dispose of this thing. I have
asked the tree guy who came to remove tree stumps and he wouldn't touch it,
I have asked trash removal companies and they wouldn't touch it says I need
someone special...

Who should I call? Hazardous waste disposal unit?

MC