Posted to alt.home.repair
bob kater

Default Condos-common walls

Down to the question at hand....Fire codes require a fire break between
units. My experience (I was a condo owner and president of the
association..Which they all have by the way) Some are separated by double
sheetrock in each unit and insulation between them. Some to save on
insurance cost put a brick wall between them all the way thru the roof to
separate them in case of fire. Ours was a 2 story condo and no one lived
over us so we only had to worry about maybe a leak that might run thru on
the ground floor. Biggest issue was the association and the meetings and
trying to get anything extra done with 118 families in the association and
about 20% being on fixed income. You want to know more?? e-mail me with
questions and I will give you the straight story of three years as an
association president and treasurer.
bob
"Good Life" wrote in message
I can no longer maintain a house so am looking into purchasing a condo.
I would like to know what question I should ask the builder about the
soundproofing in the common walls. I have looked at 3 different
condos. The salesperson at each place gave me a different answer when I
asked about material used between the common walls. I want to buy an
end unit located on the top floor. That leaves 1 neighbor on the side
and one downstairs. Would anyone be able to tell me how I could be
assured of good soundproofing material?