Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Condos-common walls

Cheri wrote:
Good Life wrote in message
I can no longer maintain a house so am looking into purchasing a condo.
I would like to know what question I should ask the builder about the
soundproofing in the common walls. I have looked at 3 different
condos. The salesperson at each place gave me a different answer when I
asked about material used between the common walls. I want to buy an
end unit located on the top floor. That leaves 1 neighbor on the side
and one downstairs. Would anyone be able to tell me how I could be
assured of good soundproofing material?

I don't think it's possible, unless you're buying a condo at Trump
Towers or some such thing. It's kind of like the way they build the new
duplexes. Instead of putting 2 garages between the units like they did
in the old days, they save space by using a common wall, but at least
it's interesting at times. It's truly a case of buyer beware, and when
you move into the condo, you might have an old lady with a parakeet, and
it's nice and quiet...but when the old lady dies and it's resold, you'll
no doubt be hearing things that you never dreamed of. I know. :-)

Cheri

Watch out for maintence fees and special assements.

Sorry we need a new roof and sidewalks the condo fee just jumped 200
bucks a month
Then there are intrusive rules like no satellite dishes allowed, our
owned cable is all your allowed at twice the price, and a friends
buying a brand new one reported yesterday it was costring him $2500.00
for ethernet cat 5e wiring... Seems one company is all thats allwowed
to install some basic telephone wiring, plus $1500 to plug in and
configure his wireless router. anyone who has done this knows its no
biggie, perhaps a hour of mucking about, telephone does it or free for
first computer 75 per for each additional.

you know condos dont do all this for free, sure they cut grass and
shovel sidewalks but you pay for it...

I DONT want to own something and have others tell me what I can and
cant do with my property!

but whatever floats your boat