Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse

Default A giant oil tank - how to dispose?

"MLD" wrote in message news:4xAig.101$s84.41@trndny03...

"miamicuse" wrote in message
An old house I just purchased has a large oil (yes, oil, not gas) tank

in
the back yard. I was told it was used in the early 70s to heat the

swimming
pool and was later on disconnected.

This oil tank is about 80" long, cylindrical with a diameter oh say

about
40". It sort of look like this:

http://store.cyrilhuze.com/CyrilHuze...um/10234-1.jpg

but not shiny like it rather it seem to be pretty corroded. I don't

know
if
there is still any oil in it, I could smell oil. Checking underneath it

do not see any leak and the grass directly underneath it seemed ok.

I am trying to figure out how to remove and dispose of this thing. I

have
asked the tree guy who came to remove tree stumps and he wouldn't touch

it,
I have asked trash removal companies and they wouldn't touch it says I

need
someone special...

Who should I call? Hazardous waste disposal unit?

MC

Below ground you would need a waste disposal company and it can be quite
expensive. Above ground you might luck out and have an oil company get

rid
of it. Keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't have a leak.
MLD

I "think" it does not have a leak by feeling the grass directly underneath
and they felt fine and dry.

However, the entire tank is brown in color and the lower half seem to be of
darker color and have some corrosion. I did not dare to tamper with it too
much. On top of the tank there is a clean out and some other fittings, none
seem to be removable easily (corrosion may be). I tried twisting all of
them and none will yield.

Make into BBQ drill? Are you sure?

MC