Posted to alt.home.repair
Cheri

Default Condos-common walls

Good Life wrote in message
I can no longer maintain a house so am looking into purchasing a condo.
I would like to know what question I should ask the builder about the
soundproofing in the common walls. I have looked at 3 different
condos. The salesperson at each place gave me a different answer when I
asked about material used between the common walls. I want to buy an
end unit located on the top floor. That leaves 1 neighbor on the side
and one downstairs. Would anyone be able to tell me how I could be
assured of good soundproofing material?

I don't think it's possible, unless you're buying a condo at Trump
Towers or some such thing. It's kind of like the way they build the new
duplexes. Instead of putting 2 garages between the units like they did
in the old days, they save space by using a common wall, but at least
it's interesting at times. It's truly a case of buyer beware, and when
you move into the condo, you might have an old lady with a parakeet, and
it's nice and quiet...but when the old lady dies and it's resold, you'll
no doubt be hearing things that you never dreamed of. I know. :-)

Cheri