Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve

Default low voltage in circuit, switch off

I'm using a ~20 year old analog multimeter. I measure ~5V on the 30V
scale, but about 0.5V on the 3V scale; so it's just enough to boost the
meter off zero. I was wondering about induction, the circuit in
question is only several meters from the service box, but next to a GFI
outlet.

Steve

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a circuit in my house with a funny characteristic, and I'd like
to track it down. In that circuit, I measure a slight voltage
difference between power and neutral at a light fixture when the switch
to that fixture is off. Yet, my meter shows no continuity when I try to
measure resistance. Other circuits do not show any voltage when they
are switched off.

I assume this means that the neutral on the peculiar circuit is not at
a common ground with the 'real' ground. It does not strike me as
inherently dangerous, yet it seems like I might as well sort out the
problem. Anybody seen this and have a recommendation on
troubleshooting?

It is probably nothing to worry about. If you are using a digital meter it
is most like picking up some induced voltage from other conductors near it
or the switch could be leaking a very small ammount. How many volts are you
calling 'slight' ?