Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jason

Default Passively-cooled larder design

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Jason" wrote in message
. uk...

"Jason" wrote in message
news
Does anyone have any tips on where I can look for details on how to go
about designing/specifying/building a passively-cooled larder for a
kitchen? We are having some structural work done, and being able to
incorporate something like this would be great.

I've done a little search, but not really come up with anywhere good to
start.

Thanks for the suggestions and tips everyone! Some good leads to follow
up, confirmation of what I suspected was needed, and confirmation that
I'm not mad wanting such a thing in the first place.

Oh you're not! I'd LOVE a cool pantry.

I can't understand how people manage in modern houses where there's no
food storage at all except cupboards in the kitchen. But it seems to me
that many people don't store food, just packets, tins and freezer packs
:-(

I live by the sea in the far North of England, so it never gets *too* hot,
and never gets *too* cold. What we do have, is a cool sea breeze, so the air
is seldom still, and fierce gales that blow down from the North. The breeze
I could probably make use of, but the gales certainly need to be kept out of
the main living area of the house.

For fruit and vegetables, the fridge is too cold (and too dry) and the room
is too warm. I would also like to be a little less reliant on energy use to
keep things cool, especially when careful design could obviate the need.

-- JJ