Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jason

Default Passively-cooled larder design

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Derek ^" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 16:43:11 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

I'd love to do this too but it seems, after 43 years of thinking about it

I only started thinking about it at 23-30pm last night when my little
Chinese weather station told me it was 26c inside the house and 16.6c
outside. Thinking at the time that running a ventilation system
overnight might result in the house starting the day cooler, bearing
in mind that hot clear sunny days tend to be followed by clear cool
nights.

Not passive but a fan and a "smartbox" of electronics could make a
worthwhile improvement and be better for the environment than air
conditioning. On a smaller scale it could be applied to a larder where
most probably the whole lot could be solar powered.

The OP did specify passive ... there are lots of non-passive methods :-(

I guess even a tiny fan to help now and then would be fine. Passive is
ideal, but if a helping hand improves it beyond what passive could provide,
then so much the better.

I've seen the ultimate lader at Woodchester mansion, that has a chimney on
the roof designed to draw up air in the slighest breeze from any direction.
The 'flue' opens up in the larder room, and through evaporation, manages to
keep the room a good 5 degrees cooler than just outside the room.

-- JJ