Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jason

Default Passively-cooled larder design

"Derek ^" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 17:39:35 +0100, Nigel Molesworth
wrote:

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 14:54:27 GMT, Jason wrote:

Does anyone have any tips on where I can look for details on how to go
about
designing/specifying/building a passively-cooled larder for a kitchen?

Build it on a North wall.
Not next to oven, fridge, washer/dryer etc.
No windows.
Tile it throughout.
Tile or marble shelves.
Insulate side walls, and door if possible.
Airbrick top and bottom, with closer for summer.

We've got one with most of the above. I made a sandwich today and the
butter was still a little firm!

How about arranging for the air to come from under the centre of the
house (assuming a suspended floor) where it is presumably cooler than
inside or outside the house?

Most of the house has a floor raised about a metre above the soft ground.
Being near the sea, there seems to be no lack of moisture in the ground, so
any air flow would be cooled down pretty well through evaporation, so
perhaps that would work. However, the bit of the kitchen we would like to
extend has a solid floor, but depending where the larder is built, it may be
adjacent to the step where the raised floor meets the solid floor - an
airbrick or two may work there.

-- JJ