Posted to alt.home.repair
Salmon Egg

Default Oxalic acid

On 6/9/06 10:32 PM, in article ,
"Richard J Kinch" wrote:

Salmon Egg writes:

It is what used to be a common chemical. With the DEA, liability
problems, and the general momma knows best Government, it is more
difficult to get such chemicals.

Difficult? I would say easier than ever. It's on the shelf at the
retailers I mentioned.

The labeling of common chemicals with brand names that try to hide what is
in the product is more of a reason that things like oxalic acid *appear* to
have disappeared. You won't find a package of MSG in the grocery store,
but you will find Accent.

I do not deny that there are many chemicals out there disguised as home
products. You just need to know what is what.

For example, concentrated sulfuric acid is available as drain cleaner at
most hardware stores. As a chemical from a scientific supply house, it is
almost impossible to buy. Aside from charging a lot. In addition to ordinary
shipping costs, firms like UPS charges an extra $25 hazardous shipping
costs. Even so, a company Wilkem Scientific would not ship chemicals to me
personally because of liabilty. I was able to get a particular pH meter from
Wilkem not available from other suppliers because of DEA restrictions.

Bill
-- Ferme le Bush