Posted to alt.home.repair
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

Default basement window almost at ground level

The system was either installed or upgraded a few years back (befor we
bought the house). They had the work done before they had the basement
finished. It seems to be working quite well, we've had two really big
rain events since we've been here (recording breaking ones) and we've
gotten no water in the basement from the walls or floor (just a little
from this window once, and fireplace cleanouts (I posted about that
here as well)). I could see where that water pooled outside the window
(impression in the mulch) and have since cleared things out and
resmoothed the area.

Phisherman wrote:
On 8 Jun 2006 17:33:50 -0700, "grodenhiATgmailDOTcom"
wrote:

We have two standard sized basement windows both are only about 1 inch
above the ground. Yesterday we had a VERY heavy wind driven rain (over
4 inches in 12 hours). Some water came in the bottom of the window.
I checked outside and it looks like a small puddle formed in front of
the window and flowed into the window once it rose to the level of the
window. The natural grade is slightly AWAY from the window and also
run slightly down hill from one side of the window to another. While
this has only occurred once, I want to stop it from occurring again.
Since the whole window is above ground would I still dig a window well?
If not, should a dig maybe 6 inches down in front of the window and
simply fill with gravel, or would that set me up for more problems?

Observe the area during a heavy rain. From that information you can
determine where to fill in or take away soil to improve the drainage.
I doubt you need a window well. Sometimes a small overhang or awning
can help.

I had issues with muddy conditions under the deck after a rain so I
made a large frame from PT wood and filled it with gravel--no more mud
splashed onto the siding, looks good too!