Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

Default Travertine around pool query

wrote:
Robert Gammon wrote:

I have done an experiment with a tumbled surface travertine sample. The
surface had NO visible unfilled areas. Got the stone VERY wet, put it
down on carpet and put my foot on it and PUSHED, The stone slipped on
the carpet before my foot skidded off the surface.

In other words it is not slippery to the feet even when wet.
I may misunderstand but I thought that what they called tumbled usually
came with an unfilled surface
I will look further into marble master.
Thanks

.

All travertine has voids in it, you pay for the fewest number and
smallest number of voids.
www.marblemaster.com even explains the
difference and prices the quality levels differently.

Best Quality 18inch brushed travertine from MarbleMaster goes for $4.39
sq/Ft and shipping is free if 2000 Sq Ft or more are in the order.
OTOH, it is a freight shipment, and YOU are responsible for having a
suitable forklift available to unload the pallets (3240 lbs for 360 sq
ft. - each 7/16 inch thick tile weighs 14 pounds).

Tumbled surfaces can be applied to ANY natural stone. All it means is
that they do NOT apply a high polish to the stone. Basically the
grinder stops work when the finish gets to a certain point.

Travertine is an open surface stone. Sealers will not offer significant
protection. No doubt we have all seen granite tile installed outdoors
at public buildings. It wears great, but weathers to a dull surface
quickly (looks dingy)

The stone will look GREAT for the first few months/years.

I have had several conversations with MarbleMaster over the last several
years. Discuss your project with them and listen/read what they say
carefully. They may make some suggestions that will make your pool are
look MUCH better for a longer time.

I have seen photos of pool areas that have been finished with
Travertine, they look WONDERFUL when new.