Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse

Default A giant oil tank - how to dispose?

An old house I just purchased has a large oil (yes, oil, not gas) tank in
the back yard. I was told it was used in the early 70s to heat the swimming
pool and was later on disconnected.

This oil tank is about 80" long, cylindrical with a diameter oh say about
40". It sort of look like this:

http://store.cyrilhuze.com/CyrilHuze...um/10234-1.jpg

but not shiny like it rather it seem to be pretty corroded. I don't know if
there is still any oil in it, I could smell oil. Checking underneath it I
do not see any leak and the grass directly underneath it seemed ok.

I am trying to figure out how to remove and dispose of this thing. I have
asked the tree guy who came to remove tree stumps and he wouldn't touch it,
I have asked trash removal companies and they wouldn't touch it says I need
someone special...

Who should I call? Hazardous waste disposal unit?

MC