Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse

Default Declaring a home as a primary residence and claiming homestead exemption

Thank you this is the information I was looking for it is greatly
appreciated.

MC

"Charlie Bress" wrote in message
. ..
Presumably you are in Florida. Go to
http://www.myflorida.com/dor/property/exemptions.html.
The simple answer is the location that you are actually using as your
residence on January 1.

Charlie

"miamicuse" wrote in message
Just purchased a home which I intend to use as a primary residence
eventually. But I intend to do some substantial remodeling before

moving
in
and it may take six to nine months to complete. During this time I will
continue to stay at my current home, after the remodeling is completed I
will move to the new home, then I will fix up the current residence to
increase it's value for resale, and that may take a few months. So

there
may be a period of nine months or more that I will be fixing up one

place
or
the other. How should I deal with the primary residence and homestead
exemption issue? I can't claim both as primary residence... Will it be
the
best to claim homestead as long as possible on the current home since

the
property tax will stay depressed for the longest time?

MC