Posted to alt.home.repair
higgledy

Default Oxalic acid

Stubby:

They did the same thing with clear kreosoot, used to preserve wood
before painting. It was bad for the environment so they replaced it
with vinyl wood. Makes sense, uh?

Stubby wrote:
TSP was for many years the standard high octane cleaner. It worked
fine. But then the environmentalists decided it might be harmful and it
was removed from the market.

Oxalic acid is not as dangerous as the posters stated. It is the
active ingredient in "Bartenders' Friend" and "Stainless Steel Cleaner"
(spray). I use the latter to clean the permanganate ring on my toilets.

wrote:
higgledy wrote:
I have read that deck cleaners are basically Oxalic acid. Being the
cheap-skate that I am does anyone know where can I buy Oxalic acid to
clean my deck?

Oxalic acid is a wood bleach and is toxic-posinios. Requires special
handling.
I would not recommend it.
Go to a paint store they will carry a cleaner which I believe is
called Tri-sodium
Sulphate or phosphate. They will know which. It is an exellent cleaner.