Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

Default Limited re-finishing

Bill wrote:
On 8 Jun 2006 23:29:09 -0700, wrote:

Will a stripper remove both? (Can you recommend a brand name of the
stripper?)

When if comes to chemical strippers, it's easy to tell the good from
the bad. If the can features pictures of bunnies, lambs, clouds, and
words like "safe" or "friendly", save your money, it'll be useless.
If you see skull & crossbones, plus "danger", "poison", and "highly
corrosive", that's the stuff you want. Add a face shield, organic
vapor respirator, heavy nitrile gloves and you'll be all set.

I guess you've never used PeelAway. They have several formulations and
the couple I've used have worked great. I've seen people do whole
clapboard houses with the stuff with the fabric laid over it to keep it
from drying out too quickly. When they pull the fabric off it pulls
all of the layers of paint with it. There's a minor amount of scraping
afterwards, but it does an amazing job. There are formulations that
remove epoxies and polyurethanes, others for latex and oil paints, etc.

The nicest thing is that it isn't canned death. If it makes you feel
any better, you're still supposed to wear gloves and a respirator
(though many people don't).