Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek ^

Default Repairing.... curling tongs?!

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 07:07:07 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

That's a 'yes' on both counts!
Thanks

You've got a situation there any service engineer would find familiar.

Everything's OK but it still doesn't bloody work.

Seriously, examine the flex at the point where it enters the
appliance. The heat can cause the flex to harden and become brittle.
Then the whirly twirling movements can cause it to crack and then it's
only held together by the conductors which will fail by work
hardening. The contact might still be made in some orientations of the
curler / flex. Alternatively your test meter might have been measuring
a path through the carbon at the break, which burns away when plugged
into the mains.

My daughter had a pair of these :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/4991792.stm

Which had an US standard flex which failed in the manner I described
above. I reported them to Leeds trading standards who took away the
defective straighteners saying only the importers, Jemella, (who were
local to us both) could determine whether or not they were
counterfeit. They'd be bound to be totally honest and impartial
wouldn't they.

Seems trading standards in Gloucestershire were more assertive.

Wonder why?

HTH

DG