Posted to alt.home.repair
No

Default Lamp Post Installation

Amy L wrote:
I am installing a lamp post in my front yard. I already have electrical ran
to the outside that was used for a lamp post many years ago (previous
owners). They ran the cable not in conduit underground about 6 inches at
most. I am going to put a new lamp post in and I was thinking that the
electrical cable should be in a conduit. The existing cable is underground
rated (or so it says on it). Thoughts on the conduit. Also, in the trench
would you lay gravel or sand? Any general advise anyone can offer? Tips,
tricks, or advise from experience?

Thanks
Amy.

No worries and no need for conduit. Yea, like others have said, deeper
is better, conduit is better, etc. Just git-er-done and don't worry.
Unless you are planning on digging in that area for some other reason.
Oh, you already know there is a wire there. Also, anyone who sees a lamp
post should be smart enough to assume there is a wire somewhere. I would
just get on with installing the lamp post then enjoy the rest of your
day and admire the complete job. Don't make more work than you need to.