Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Limited re-finishing

wrote:
How can I strip the polyurethane coating and the walnut stain from ONLY
the TOP of my coffee table WITHOUT affecting the sides and legs?

Good luck. Most of the stuff that will chew through poly are very
aggressive and won't stop stripping exactly where you want.

I would think your best bet would be to strip all the way out the
edges, leaving a band of finish where seepage or removed material may
seep, leak, or be pushed into the area you don't want.

Then you could sand the areas remaining clean.

Or you could sand the whole thing.

BTW, if it is a factory finish, it most likely is not polyurethane.
Probably tinted catalized lacquer.

Robert