Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard Thoms

Default Lamp Post Installation

Amy L wrote:
I am installing a lamp post in my front yard. I already have electrical ran
to the outside that was used for a lamp post many years ago (previous
owners). They ran the cable not in conduit underground about 6 inches at
most. I am going to put a new lamp post in and I was thinking that the
electrical cable should be in a conduit. The existing cable is underground
rated (or so it says on it). Thoughts on the conduit. Also, in the trench
would you lay gravel or sand? Any general advise anyone can offer? Tips,
tricks, or advise from experience?

While conduit is not necessary, it just seems better, doesn't it! Do it
if it is easy or inexpensive to fix just to give yourself some
peace-of-mind. Deeper would definetly be better and I imagine there are
some electrical codes that should be consulted. Make sure the circuit
is on ground fault interrupter (GFI). Just back fill with dirt (or
whatever is natural).

Richard Thoms
President - Top Service Pros, Inc.
Connecting Homeowners and Local Home Service Professionals
Homeowners, Find a Top Service Pro -- http://www.TopServicePros.com
Service Pros, Get Listed on the Web - http://www.TopServicePros.com